Re: postgres function does not handle PUBLIC - expected?

From: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres function does not handle PUBLIC - expected?
Date: 2010-08-10 19:35:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

2010/8/10 Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>

> Szymon,
>
> The PUBLIC role is a default, non login role, that is created with every
> postgres cluster/instance.
>
> To my knowledge PUBLIC is a standard user in any rdbms. So, existence of
> public is not the issue here.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Kasia

No, there is no PUBLIC default role in ANY rdbms. In PostgreSQL there is
PUBLIC schema, not role. In my PostgreSQL database there wasn't any such
role... but I'll check that now... ok, I've checked, I've got 15 roles, none
is names PUBLIC, what's more, I don't have any roles that cannot login.

run simple query: SELECT rolname FROM pg_roles; and check the existence of
the PUBLIC role.

regards
Szymon Guz