Re: High availability with Postgres

From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Elior Soliman <elior(dot)soliman(at)correlix(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High availability with Postgres
Date: 2010-06-23 04:42:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Elior Soliman
<elior(dot)soliman(at)correlix(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My company looking for some solution for High availability with Postgres.
>
> Our optional solution is as follows :
> Two DB servers will be using a common external storage (with raid). Both
> servers are going to use the same DB files on the storage (as
> active/passive)
>
> Now I'm trying to understand how Postgres can work with this configuration.
> I.e :
>
> DB_server1 crashed, so we want to start DB_server2 using same files.
> Is it possible ?

I've used the Symantec Storage Foundation & Cluster Server products in
the past. Worked very well in shared SAN storage, 4-way cluster with
3 service groups each running PostgreSQL. Easy to configure and
manage too. Their volume manager and file system are very mature and
always recovered well.

HTH.

Greg