Re: Hiding data in postgresql

From: Hector Beyers <hqbeyers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hiding data in postgresql
Date: 2010-05-25 07:58:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

No, I have not considered encrypting or decrypting data. The reason for this
is that I am trying to *secure a database* by thinking like a *malicious
user / criminal*. I want to hide (for example) fraudulent data on a database
where it is not easily seen by others and then build a tool to detect this
hidden data.

On your questions:

*) What data is to remain secret?
*) Who is allowed to see the secret data?
*) When do they see it?
*) What sacrifices are you willing to make to keep the data secret?
*) Where are you going to store the key?

the answers:

- fraudulent data / or data that needs to be hidden.
- only the malicious user - and hopefully later a detection mechanism
that I aim to build.
- I don't really have a preference on when they can see the data, but
maybe when you export a dump.
- The main purpose of hiding the data is that the normal users of the
database will not easily find the hidden data. If this criteria is met, then
any other sacrifices can be made.
- Still need to figure that one out.

Any good brainstorming ideas will help!