Re: [PERFORM] MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hakan Kocaman <hkocam(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance
Date: 2010-10-04 19:35:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Hakan Kocaman <hkocam(at)googlemail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
> for whom it may concern:
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/mosbench/
> They tested with 8.3.9, i wonder what results 9.0 would give.
> Best regards and keep up the good work

They mention that these tests were run on the older 8xxx series
opterons which has much slower memory speed and HT speed as well. I
wonder how much better the newer 6xxx series magny cours would have
done on it... When I tested some simple benchmarks like pgbench, I
got scalability right to 48 processes on our 48 core magny cours
machines.

Still, lots of room for improvement in kernel and pgsql.