alter table add column - specify where the column will go?

From: Alexander Farber <alexander(dot)farber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: alter table add column - specify where the column will go?
Date: 2010-11-24 07:42:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

is there a syntax to add a column not at the last place, but
somewhere inbetween or do I have to dump/restore the table?

For example if I'd like to add last_logout right after last_login:

\d pref_users;
Table "public.pref_users"
Column | Type | Modifiers
------------+-----------------------------+---------------
id | character varying(32) | not null
first_name | character varying(32) |
last_name | character varying(32) |
female | boolean |
avatar | character varying(128) |
city | character varying(32) |
lat | real |
lng | real |
last_login | timestamp without time zone | default now()
last_ip | inet |
medals | smallint | default 0

Thank you
Alex