Re: database bloat, but vacuums are done, and fsm seems to be setup ok

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsqlperform <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database bloat, but vacuums are done, and fsm seems to be setup ok
Date: 2005-10-01 10:01:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

On 9/30/05, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> wrote:

> Looks like it's definately an issue with index bloat. Note that it's
> normal to have some amount of empty space depending on vacuum and update
> frequency, so 15G -> 20G isn't terribly surprising. I would suggest
> using pg_autovacuum instead of the continuous vacuum; it's very possible
> that some of your tables need more frequent vacuuming than they're
> getting now. If you go this route, you might want to change the default
> settings a bit to make pg_autovacuum more agressive.

actually i have a very bad experience with autovaccum - of course it is
because i dont know how to setup it correctly, but for me it's just easier
to setup continuos vacuums. and i know which tables are frequently updated,
so i setup additional vacuums on them.

Also, I'd suggest posting to -hackers about the index bloat. Would you
> be able to make a filesystem copy (ie: tar -cjf database.tar.bz2
> $PGDATA) available? It might also be useful to keep an eye on index size
> in pg_class.relpages and see exactly what indexes are bloating.

i'm watching it right now (which indices are bloating), but i cannot send
copy of pgdata - it contains very sensitive information.
depesz