Re: WIP: default values for function parameters

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: David E(dot) Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: default values for function parameters
Date: 2008-12-08 15:28:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov 30, 2008, at 12:04 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> Agreed, default values should not be a part of function signatures,
> although it might be nice if ALTER FUNCTION to allow default values
> to be changed.

It would be VERY nice. I routinely cut and paste an entire function
header to later perform things like ALTER and GRANT so that I don't
have to re-type everything. It would be a huge PITA if I had to then
go and delete any default settings.

Example:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION add(
a int
, b int
) RETURNS int LANGUAGE ...

GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION add(
a int
, b int
) TO someuser;
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org