Re: Details for planned template0/template1 change

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Details for planned template0/template1 change
Date: 2000-11-13 17:22:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> That is a great side-effect. Now, if there were a way to initdb just
> template0, leaving everything else in place, then rebuilding template1
> -- of course, a similar ability is there now, but the two-stage initdb
> this implies could make pg_upgrade work smoother, in cases where the
> system catalogs are the only change from one major version to the next.

I'm missing something --- I don't see how this affects pg_upgrade one
way or the other, except of course that it should be prepared to cope
with user data in template1 (not sure if it does or not now).

pg_upgrade won't be usable for the 7.1 transition anyway, because of WAL
changes (page header format is changing). I dunno whether it will be
usable at all under WAL --- Vadim will have to comment on that.