Re: new Configuration patch, implements 'include'

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: new Configuration patch, implements 'include'
Date: 2003-02-17 18:43:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
> If no hba_conf and/or ident_conf setting is specified, the default
> $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf and/or $PGDATA/pg_ident.conf will be used.

Doesn't anybody see the (a) inconsistency and (b) uselessness of this?
If you are trying to keep your config files out of the data directory,
it's hardly sensible to default to finding two out of three there.

We should have a -C that specifies a *directory*, and all three config
files should be sought therein. The argument that that somehow forces
people to use symlinks doesn't convince me at all.

But I've grown tired of arguing, because it's clear that I'm making no
impact whatever :-(. I'm done with this thread.