Re: location of the configuration files

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-17 18:51:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:35:41AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> FHS or no FHS, I would think that the preferred arrangement would be to
> keep Postgres' config files in a postgres-owned subdirectory, not
> directly in /etc. That way you need not be root to edit them. (My idea

Besides, what are you going to do for people installing on a box
where they don't have root? Are they going to need a whole mess of
extra directories in their private copy?

> of an editor, Emacs, always wants to write a backup file, so I dislike
> having to edit files that live in directories I can't write.)
>
> Here's a pretty topic for a flamewar: should it be /etc/postgres/ or
> /etc/postgresql/ ?

Wow, two flamewar topics in one mail. I'm impressed.

Andrew "ed is the one true editor" Sullivan

--
----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street