Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)webline(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inprise InterBase(R) 6.0 Now Free and Open Source
Date: 2000-07-29 15:43:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)webline(dot)dk> writes:
> What is more important to my mind is if the license permits a
> developer to look at the code and get inspired, or if the developer's
> mind will be "tainted" just by looking.

It is not possible to be "tainted" by looking. There are only two kinds
of intellectual property rights (at least in the USA) and neither one
creates that risk:

1. Copyright means you can't take the code verbatim, just like you can't
plagiarize a novel. You can use the same ideas (plot, characters, etc)
but you have to express 'em in your own words. Structure the code
differently, use different names, write your own comments, etc, and
you're clear even if you lifted the algorithm lock stock & barrel.

2. Patent means you can't use the algorithm. However, looking doesn't
create extra risk here, because you can't use a patented algorithm
(without paying) no matter how you learned of it --- not even if you
invented it independently.

As far as I've heard, Inprise isn't claiming any patent rights in
connection with the Interbase code anyway, but it might be a good idea
for someone to check before we all start reading their code...