Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Stefan Schwarzer" <stefan(dot)schwarzer(at)grid(dot)unep(dot)ch>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Date: 2008-01-18 17:19:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

On 18/01/2008, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> uname is a separate executable. If you do system("uname") you'll get
> results that reflect how uname was built, not how Postgres was built.

Right, I realise it's a seperate executable, but doesn't configure
rely on it anyway? Meaning if someones system has a uname that tells
configure it's a PPC when it's actually an Intel, the resulting binary
is likely to go bang anyway, assuming it even builds.

My suggestion was that we take the output of uname at configure/build
time and bung it in a macro, not do anything with system() at
runtime...

Anyway, Peter's suggestion seems much tidier.

/D