Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Stefan Schwarzer" <stefan(dot)schwarzer(at)grid(dot)unep(dot)ch>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Date: 2008-01-18 17:24:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On 18/01/2008, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> uname is a separate executable. If you do system("uname") you'll get
>> results that reflect how uname was built, not how Postgres was built.

> My suggestion was that we take the output of uname at configure/build
> time and bung it in a macro, not do anything with system() at
> runtime...

Ah. That would work better than what I thought you were suggesting, but
I still don't trust it a whole lot --- there's the problem of "universal
binaries" (PPC & PPC64 & Intel) for instance, which I believe some
people have managed to build Postgres as.

> Anyway, Peter's suggestion seems much tidier.

Agreed. Also we could have it today if we base it off inspection of
pg_control_version.