Re: Re-Install data folder failure

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ray <Ray(dot)Joseph(at)cdicorp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re-Install data folder failure
Date: 2009-04-21 14:55:14
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/4/20 ray <Ray(dot)Joseph(at)cdicorp(dot)com>

> I have been having troubles getting 8.3 running on Windows XP. My
> last couple of attempts have been to install 8.3 in a folder off the
> root rather than off of 'Program Files'. Since I ‘uninstalled’ it, I
> have not been able to get a good installation. I have tried many
> times. I use Control Panels Add&Remove to remove 8.3 and then I go
> through the registry and remove any remaining entries tjat address
> 'postgres'. When I start a new install, it always points to c:
> \program files\postg… which I change on the setup page to the new c:
> \pghome. I have a leftover environmental variable pgdata which points
> to c:\pghome\8.3\data. But this folder never gets built anymore.
> That is, there is not data folder.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get this built?
>
> I am installing this from an administrator account and I have a
> postgres account that is a power user. I have tried but can not
> install from that account. The PostgreSQL notes say that it is no
> longer necessary to operate from a non-administrator account so I
> tried to do things from the admin account and when it doesn’t work, I
> try it from the postgres power user account. So far, neither have
> worked. But I am guessing that is due to the no ‘data’ folder.
>
> Ray

which installer are you using? (please share exact url where you downloaded
it)? which version is it? did you remove postgres account after
uninstalling? (the installer should create it IIRC)

to build data directory you can use initdb tool.

--
Filip Rembiałkowski
JID,mailto:filip(dot)rembialkowski(at)gmail(dot)com