Re: Re-Install data folder failure

From: ray <Ray(dot)Joseph(at)CDICorp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re-Install data folder failure
Date: 2009-04-21 15:17:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Apr 21, 9:55 am, plk(dot)zu(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)com (Filip Rembiałkowski) wrote:
> 2009/4/20 ray <Ray(dot)Jos(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)cdicorp(dot)com>
>

> > I have been having troubles getting 8.3 running on Windows XP.  My
> > last couple of attempts have been to install 8.3 in a folder off the
> > root rather than off of 'Program Files'.  Since I ‘uninstalled’ it, I
> > have not been able to get a good installation.  I have tried many
> > times.  I use Control Panels Add&Remove to remove 8.3 and then I go
> > through the registry and remove any remaining entries tjat address
> > 'postgres'.  When I start a new install, it always points to c:
> > \program files\postg… which I change on the setup page to the new c:
> > \pghome.  I have a leftover environmental variable pgdata which points
> > to c:\pghome\8.3\data.  But this folder never gets built anymore.
> > That is, there is not data folder.
>
> > Any ideas on how I can get this built?
>
> > I am installing this from an administrator account and I have a
> > postgres account that is a power user.  I have tried but can not
> > install from that account.  The PostgreSQL notes say that it is no
> > longer necessary to operate from a non-administrator account so I
> > tried to do things from the admin account and when it doesn’t work, I
> > try it from the postgres power user account.  So far, neither have
> > worked.  But I am guessing that is due to the no ‘data’ folder.
>
> >  Ray
>
> which installer are you using? (please share exact url where you downloaded
> it)? which version is it? did you remove postgres account after
> uninstalling? (the installer should create it IIRC)
>
> to build data directory you can use initdb tool.
>
> --
> Filip Rembiałkowski
> JID,mailto:filip(dot)rembialkow(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)comhttp://filip.rembialkowski.net/- Hide quoted text -

Filip,

Thank you for showing me the holes in what I thought would be a
complete account. I appreciate your detailed review.

I downloaded 8.3.7 from
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp/binary/v8.3.7/win32/postgresql-8.3.7-1.zip.
I downloaded a couple of times from the same and diffferent mirrors.
Sometimes the installation would state that there was an error and
that the installation file may have been bad. I did not collect any
information as to which sites this occured from.

I removed the postgres account from the OS before the last
installation process. A new postges OS account was not setup by the
installer. After connecting to a new server, a postgres database was
shown along with another that used my OS logon name.

Ray