Re: Doubt about join queries

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jc_mich <juan(dot)michaca(at)paasel(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doubt about join queries
Date: 2009-04-21 15:05:06
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/4/20 jc_mich <juan(dot)michaca(at)paasel(dot)com>

> Hello
>
> I have a table with clients and other with stores, I want to calculate
> minimum distances between stores and clients, the client name and its
> closer
> store.
>
> At this moment I can only get clients ids and minimum distances grouping by
> client id, but when I try to join their respective store id, postgres
> requires me to add store id in group clause and it throws as many rows as
> the product of number clients and stores. This result is wrong, I only
> expect the minimum distance for every client.
>
> My code looks like this:
>
> SELECT distances.client_id, min(distances.distance) FROM(
> SELECT stores.id AS store_id, clients.id AS client_id,
> sqrt(power(store.x)+power(store.y)) AS distance
> FROM stores, clients
> WHERE 1=1
> ORDER BY stores.id, dist) AS distances GROUP BY distances.client_id;
>
> Also I've tried this:
> SELECT clients.id, MIN(distances.distance)
> FROM stores, clients LEFT JOIN(SELECT clients.id AS client_id, stores.id,
> sqrt(power(stores.x)+power(stores.y)) AS distance
> FROM stores, clients
> WHERE 1=1) distances
> ON distances.client_id = clients.id GROUP BY clients.id

It would be much easier if you show actual database schema.

It is not clear what is the meaning of stores.x and stores.y variables -
what do they measure. If they are just coordinates, then where are client
coordinates stored?

--
Filip Rembiałkowski
JID,mailto:filip(dot)rembialkowski(at)gmail(dot)com