Re: psql \e broken again

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bort, Paul" <pbort(at)tmwsystems(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql \e broken again
Date: 2004-11-15 17:19:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Bort, Paul" <pbort(at)tmwsystems(dot)com> writes:
> The one that I see most often ( and use here ) is CVSGUI (
> http://www.wincvs.org/ ), which includes a CVS command-line client despite
> the name. ( The command-line CVS might be from CVSNT,
> http://www.cvsnt.com/cvspro/ ).

> So I thought I'd try a few scenarios, since I have it installed:
> [ none of which work ]
> So to answer your question, at least in part, there is no current good
> behavior to emulate. At least on this version of CVS:

I think this is fairly graphic proof that (1) a straight port without
doing anything special is essentially nonfunctional on Windows, and that
(2) there isn't any easy way for the user to fix it by inserting quotes
for himself.

So it seems like we *must* double quote on Windows. If you want some
switches in there, tough --- the only way will be to make a batch file
you can invoke that adds the switches.

Anyone see a different answer?