Re: cube problem

From: "Alexander Staubo" <alex(at)purefiction(dot)net>
To: "ABHANG RANE" <arane(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cube problem
Date: 2007-06-08 08:23:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/8/07, ABHANG RANE <arane(at)indiana(dot)edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a table with one column as real[]. Now if I want to make cubes
> out of each of
> these arrays, is there a way in postgre I can do it. I guess cube
> operator is not defined
> for real[] but can I create cubes if the column was integer[]. If yes
> please may I know
> how.

There are several definitions of "cube" that could possibly fit your
question; which one do you mean?

* A cube operator as in an OLAP cube
(http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/technology/archives/olap-sql-part-1-rollup-7985).
Postgres does not support this. I's been brought up in the past, but
never fully implemented, though I think people have tried. The problem
perhaps a lack of demand among database developers.

* A three-dimensional geometric object
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube). Postgres doesn't support them
natively -- the geometric operators are all 2D -- but there's a module
in contrib called cube which implements "n-dimensional cubes", ie.
hypercubes, which can be used for geometry as well as other types of
multidimensional queries.

* An arithmetical expression
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_%28algebra%29). Postgres does this.

Alexander.