Re: Stability, PR

From: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: reuven(at)lerner(dot)co(dot)il, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stability, PR
Date: 2002-05-23 15:35:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:

> (For those who don't run across Linux Journal, Reuven has been giving
> PostgreSQL some nice exposure on a regular basis.)
>
> > Given the frequency with which I've heard such claims from otherwise
> > well-informed people, I'm wondering if there's anything we users can
> > (or should) do to counter this misinformation.
>
> One of the nicest things about the PostgreSQL team is the lack of FUD
> and marketing fluff. To a fault, and to an extent not seen in other
> database products, including other open source database products.
>
> How does one prove something? By developing a history of success, not by
> claiming it. And folks like yourself help a lot by showing success.
>
> - Thomas

I couldn't agree more. The PostgreSQL team is honest to a fault about
the true state of the codebase. They will happily tell you which
parts of the code are still somewhat scary. On the other hand, when
they say that something is ready for prime time, you can be assured
that it *is* ready for production use.