Re: uuids on freebsd

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: uuids on freebsd
Date: 2008-12-18 15:02:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew> I get a segfault too if I force misc/ossp-uuid to build with
Andrew> -fPIC:
[...]
Andrew> I can try this on another box with a debug-enabled pg build
Andrew> later.

The problem, unsurprisingly, is that the call to uuid_create in
contrib/uuid-ossp.c ends up resolving to the libc function rather than
to the ossp libuuid.a one. Since the functions do completely different
things, hilarity ensues.

It can apparently be made to work by jumping through enough flaming
hoops: you have to build misc/ossp-uuid with CFLAGS=-fPIC, and then
build contrib/uuid-ossp with LDFLAGS_SL=-Wl,-Bsymbolic (but I think
this would break again if misc/ossp-uuid ever installed a .so rather
than just the .a). So I don't think this is a realistic fix.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)