Re: Allowing COPY into views

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allowing COPY into views
Date: 2007-04-19 22:08:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:

> The threads to updatable views have concluded rejecting the patches, and
> with ideas that require rather extensive rewriting of the rule manager,

I have some ideas on a different approach to this if anyone's thinking of
starting fresh but I had the impression that the patches were rejected because
they were unnecessarily complex, not because the overall approach was
rejected.

> Updatable views are not going to handle COPY anyway ...

Well I noticed this as I was writing it. Even once you have updateable views
you would still have to have code in COPY supporting creating insert
statements which isn't how it works now.

--
Gregory Stark