Re: Allowing COPY into views

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allowing COPY into views
Date: 2007-04-19 15:59:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Karl O. Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com> writes:
>
> > Rather than spend a whole lot of time figuring
> > out all the calls to use and all the detail,
> > I'm going to go ahead and post now. That way
> > if this is simply not going to fly I don't have
> > to spend any more time on it. Otherwise,
> > I'll post more as I work it out.
>
> It probably doesn't make sense to work on just this one case. There are folks
> looking at update-able views. If we had that then this would simplify to
> simply recognizing the case and invoking the rewriter to get you the insert
> statement to use.

The threads to updatable views have concluded rejecting the patches, and
with ideas that require rather extensive rewriting of the rule manager,
so I'd think that handling this one case (COPY view FROM foo) would be
useful on its own, and would carry a lot less work than the whole thing.

Updatable views are not going to handle COPY anyway ...