Re: New CF app deployment

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New CF app deployment
Date: 2015-01-25 11:22:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter> The mailing list integration is good, but seems like it could
Peter> often be overkill. I just want to "tag" an existing message for
Peter> readability here, like with the old commitfest app. I like to
Peter> make things easy to find from the CF app, particularly for
Peter> larger, more complicated things.

There's a fairly serious readability problem when someone has posted a
patch as a subthread of some more general discussion. For example, look
at the "adaptive ndistinct estimator" patch: it's not obvious which
attachment is the actual patch, and whether the latest email has
anything to do with the patch is entirely arbitrary.

Either there needs to be an ironclad "always start a new thread for a
new patch" rule, or the app needs to be smarter about threading.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)