Re: Issue with Rowid's during Oracle to Postgres convertion:

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue with Rowid's during Oracle to Postgres convertion:
Date: 2003-03-26 06:41:14
Lists: pgsql-general

"Bodanapu, Sravan" <Sravan(dot)Bodanapu(at)NextelPartners(dot)com> writes:

> We, then started with importing the Oracle data into postgres and there were
> no Issues. The second stage is to apply the Oracle archive log information
> to Postgres database using Oracle's Logminer utility. We were able to break
> the archive logs and extract sql's using Logminer but stuck with ROWID's
> in the DML transactions. Postgres does not support Rowid's at all, but there
> is a concept called OID and it is not helpful to us. I wonder how to resolve

This is an interesting approach. It seems like it will be a lot of work
though. There isn't any better way? Oracle can do cross-database queries, so
you could for example query the read-only database and insert the results into
a table in an entirely separate read-write database.

The best bet sounds to me like looking at your initial import process to see
if there's a way to add rowid to the initially exported data. If you can
arrange to have rowid exported and create a real varchar rowid column in
postgres then the logminer transactions might work. You'll have to make an
index on the rowid column though.

Perhaps you should send some examples of logminer transactions, just one
example of each of UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE ?

--
greg