Re: introduce "default_use_oids"

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: introduce "default_use_oids"
Date: 2003-12-01 23:28:41
Lists: pgsql-patches

> We need a solution to this.

I'm really not sure we do: the SQL produced by pg_dump was totally
non-portable before, and it is slightly less portable now. ISTM that
you will almost always need to do some post-processing of pg_dump's
output to have any hope of loading it into another RDBMS in any case.

A flag for pg_dump that told it to produce standards-compliant SQL
would be a cool thing to have, but that would provide a solution to a
problem that has always existed, not one that is introduced by this
patch.

> One idea is to use SET to change the default_with_oids setting when
> a table changes characteristics.

It is easy to do this if people think it would improve things. I
didn't do it myself because I didn't see how it helped: SET is not in
the standard either. It is just as trivial to use sed/perl/etc. to
remove "SET default_with_oids ..." as it is to remove "WITH/WITHOUT
OIDS".

-Neil