Moving from Windows to Ubuntu - Have a couple of questions

From: Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Moving from Windows to Ubuntu - Have a couple of questions
Date: 2009-07-28 14:00:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I have been running PostgreSQL 8.3 for a while now and was installed through
the standard Windows installer and everything has been working great :)

I am in the process of switching to Ubuntu, and I have a couple of question
to get started. I installed pgadmin and postgre through the Synaptic Package
Manager. I am unfamiliar with the console so I prefer to use pgAdmin to set
things up.

Opening pgAdmin I see Servers(0) .. I am trying to add a server and filled
out things to match the windows properties but can't get it to work.
On the Service part, windows says postgresql-8.3 but on Ubuntu it is empty.
I tried to put the same thing there as well, but also with no success. I am
guessing I need to do something before that.. the ideas is that I will
create a DB later and use my windows backup and restore.

Please help me figure this out,

Sincerely / Jennifer