Re: Moving from Windows to Ubuntu - Have a couple of questions

From: Andreas Wenk <a(dot)wenk(at)netzmeister-st-pauli(dot)de>
To: Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving from Windows to Ubuntu - Have a couple of questions
Date: 2009-07-28 14:44:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Jennifer Trey schrieb:
> I am in the process of switching to Ubuntu, and I have a couple of
> question to get started. I installed pgadmin and postgre through the
> Synaptic Package Manager. I am unfamiliar with the console so I prefer
> to use pgAdmin to set things up.

congratulations for switching ;-). You should start to get familar with the console
because a lot of things are much easier using the console. Especially configuring the
PostgreSQL and using psql (the command line interface)

> Opening pgAdmin I see Servers(0) .. I am trying to add a server and
> filled out things to match the windows properties but can't get it to work.
> On the Service part, windows says postgresql-8.3 but on Ubuntu it is
> empty. I tried to put the same thing there as well, but also with no
> success. I am guessing I need to do something before that.. the ideas is
> that I will create a DB later and use my windows backup and restore.

You have to edit two files at least:

/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_hba.conf

This ist the file for setting the authentication for your cluster. Please refer to this
part of the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

And probably you also have to edit:

/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/postgresql.conf

Please read the documentation here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-connection.html

Most important is listen_adresses ... hm, I think the defaults should be ok to get started.

Basically you should be able to connect to the server by setting this in pg_hba.conf:

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
local all all trust

But take care - this should only be set for testing purpose.

Is the server running? Type this in the command line:

$ /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 status

If you get something like this

8.3 main 5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main \
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-8.3-main.log

PG is running ...

Hope that helps for the start

Cheers

Andy