Re: For production: 8.4 or 8.3?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: For production: 8.4 or 8.3?
Date: 2009-07-28 14:06:26
Lists: pgsql-general

> Personally, I'm still doubtful about using pg_migrator on any large
> scale 8.3->8.4 migration.

Well, I don't trust it much either, so the RPM documentation will
carry a lot of bright red warnings. But how will you be able to
trust it any more for 8.5 if people don't test/use it now?

> If it's ever going to be changed, I doubt it's going to get any
> *easier* than doing it right now.

Sooner or later there will be a non-binary-upgradable release, and
I'll flip the RH/Fedora defaults then. It's bad timing that both of
these things happened in the same release cycle, but I have to play
the hand I've been dealt.