Fulltext search configuration

From: Mohamed <mohamed5432154321(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fulltext search configuration
Date: 2009-02-02 10:36:59
Lists: pgsql-general

I have ran into some problems here.
I am trying to implement arabic fulltext search on three columns.

To create a dictionary I have a hunspell dictionary and and arabic stop
file.

CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY hunspell_dic (
TEMPLATE = ispell,
DictFile = hunarabic,
AffFile = hunarabic,
StopWords = arabic
);

1) The problem is that the hunspell contains a .dic and a .aff file but the
configuration requeries a .dict and .affix file. I have tried to change the
endings but with no success.

2) ts_lexize('hunspell_dic', 'ARABIC WORD') returns nothing

3) How can I convert my .dic and .aff to valid .dict and .affix ?

4) I have read that when using dictionaries, if a word is not recognized by
any dictionary it will not be indexed. I find that troublesome. I would like
everything but the stop words to be indexed. I guess this might be a step
that I am not ready for yet, but just wanted to put it out there.

Also I would like to know how the process of the fulltext search
implementation looks like, from config to search.

Create dictionary, then a text configuration, add dic to configuration,
index columns with gin or gist ...

How does a search look like? Does it match against the gin/gist index. Have
that index been built up using the dictionary/configuration, or is the
dictionary only used on search frases?

/ Moe