Re: UUID generation functions

From: "Hyatt, Gordon" <Gordon(dot)Hyatt(at)joslin(dot)harvard(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UUID generation functions
Date: 2008-06-03 13:55:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Please see my comments in line.

As far as I can see, there are really only 2 types, either time-based or random. I guess a third "type" could be one where 2 long integers are used to "generate" the UUID.

Would this really add that much code? I haven't yet implemented such algorithms to know - I've simply used the underlying systems services when I needed UUIDs.

> >> For reasons mentioned by the other poster, it would be helpful if
> >> PostgreSQL could generate them. Is there really more than 2 or 3
> >> needed options where it would be huge code bloat to include sufficient
> >> alternatives?
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/uuid-ossp.html
>
> My bad - just realised the OP most probably needs a Windows-compatible
> solution and uuid-ossp is not.

Actually, I'm developing on Windows, but deploying on Linux (both the web-server and the DB server), so a solution that is independent of platform is the most desirable. I was hoping that PG would have something to generate UUIDs internally.

If PG doesn't have the ability to generate UUIDs, I'll put the code in the web-server (tomcat) to do so. I was hoping to have this functionality as close as possible to the persistence of the data (where rules of uniqueness and integrity can be more easily enforced).

Gord