Re: Best security practices for installing pgSQL with my software

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg <greg(at)officium(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best security practices for installing pgSQL with my software
Date: 2006-06-12 10:05:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Greg,

The program will have a database on the local PC, and be able to connect to
> the server database as well. Eventually they will synchronise the email,
> contacts etc.

aaah. Like Lotus Notes.

I need the database on the local PC so the user can take their PC/laptop
> home and still work.

Yes, now it is clear.

Do you think a direct connection to the database port using SSL will be
> suitable for this kind of scenario?

I guess the connection between client and server should be the least of your
concerns in this scenario :) Of course you can connect via SSL, that is
explicitly supported by PostgreSQL.

The challenges begin with the key infrastructure, the synchronization, the
network, the ports, the installation of Databases on a lot of client
computers in an automated fashion etc., the access rights et. all

It took me around a year to get that working :); so better start now.

Best wishes and good luck,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa