Re: Duplicate key value violates unique constraint

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nafees Sardar" <nafees(at)epazz(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate key value violates unique constraint
Date: 2020-03-16 16:27:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Nafees Sardar" <nafees(at)epazz(dot)net> writes:
> I migrate my data from MS Sql server to postgreSQL database, now when I try
> to insert new row it gives me error "duplicate key value violates unique
> constraint". For example I have a table which contains 100 rows of records
> when I go for inserting 101 row it give duplicate value constraint error.
> When I pass PK value manually its working, and one more thing auto increment
> is enabled for all tables .

Sounds like you need to adjust the sequence counters underlying the
auto-increment columns so that their settings are higher than any
of the already-existing ID values. Auto-increment isn't really a
native concept in Postgres, it's something you have to build from
a sequence object and a suitable default expression. Getting the
sequence set correctly is an easy step to miss when migrating from
a different DBMS.