Re: restore whoes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simone Tellini <tellini(at)areabusiness(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: restore whoes
Date: 2002-02-11 16:56:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Simone Tellini <tellini(at)areabusiness(dot)it> writes:
> err... probably I didn't make it clear, but the problem is that you
> can't restore a database if you've got a text field containing CRLF
> terminated text!

Au contraire: it works fine ... so long as the COPY data hasn't been
munged between being emitted and being reloaded.

There's a thread in progress now on pghackers concerning whether we
can't make COPY data files proof against Microsoftish newline
translations, but until that happens, the rule is simple. Don't pass
the data file through anything that thinks it's okay to reformat
newlines.