Re: Postmaster will not start???

From: David Stanaway <david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Eric Theis <etheis(at)goldrush(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postmaster will not start???
Date: 2001-11-21 02:07:02
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

On Monday, November 19, 2001, at 03:30 AM, Eric Theis wrote:

> I am running PostgreSQL 7.1.2/3 on Mandrake 8.1. My problem (well my
> immediate problem) is that the Postmaster will not start. I installed
> MDK a
> couple months ago. In that time, Postgres has started fine until a
> couple
> days ago. I do not get any messages (either on screen or in syslog),
> but the
> Starting Postmaster init script fails. I have tried uninstalling then
> reinstalling the RPMs, but that only fixed the problem while I was
> logged in
> immediately after the reinstall. After rebooting it failed again. I
> have
> tried to upgrade the Postgres install from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3, but again no
> luck.
> This is a development box that is not left on, but turned on/off pretty
> frequently. Any thoughts or suggestions on where to look would be
> greatly
> appreciated.

How much space do you have left on /var ?

I had a similar problem, but looking at the logs for postgres (In debian,
/var/log/postgres.log ) I saw that it was failing to start as it needed
20Mb ~ to complete a transaction.

If you don't have much space left on /var/ you may like to allocate more
space or clear some old files.

David Stanaway
Personal: david(at)stanaway(dot)net
Work: david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au