Postmaster will not start???

From: Eric Theis <etheis(at)goldrush(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postmaster will not start???
Date: 2001-11-18 16:30:57
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

I am running PostgreSQL 7.1.2/3 on Mandrake 8.1. My problem (well my
immediate problem) is that the Postmaster will not start. I installed MDK a
couple months ago. In that time, Postgres has started fine until a couple
days ago. I do not get any messages (either on screen or in syslog), but the
Starting Postmaster init script fails. I have tried uninstalling then
reinstalling the RPMs, but that only fixed the problem while I was logged in
immediately after the reinstall. After rebooting it failed again. I have
tried to upgrade the Postgres install from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3, but again no luck.
This is a development box that is not left on, but turned on/off pretty
frequently. Any thoughts or suggestions on where to look would be greatly
appreciated.