Re: UNIONS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UNIONS
Date: 2000-08-07 19:02:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu> writes:
> The reason I was asking is that I had an idea for doing the select ** from
> tablename* that would expand.

> It could be macro of sorts but part of it depending on creating a null
> table or the equivalent of it with nothing but a null column for each
> different column of the set.

What happens when two different child tables have similarly-named
columns of different types?

In any case, this wouldn't be a very satisfactory solution because you
couldn't tell the difference between a null stored in a child table and
the lack of any column at all. We really need to do it the hard way,
ie, issue a new tuple descriptor as we pass into each new child table.

There appears to have once been support for that back in the Berkeley
days; you might care to dig through Postgres 4.2 or so to see how they
did it.