Re: 8.3 vs 8.2 sql compatiblity issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>, Postgres General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.3 vs 8.2 sql compatiblity issue
Date: 2007-11-15 18:17:20
Lists: pgsql-general

> Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com> wrote:
>> I am actually getting a lot of these operator does not exist errors
>> in 8.3 another one I get is operator does not exist for char=integer

> This appears to be a classic example of:
> Casts to text that formerly occurred implicitly may now need to be
> written explicitly

That's no doubt got something to do with it, but I think Tony is mighty
confused about exactly what is failing. pg_constraint.conkey is not
text, for instance; it's smallint[] and so the quoted bit should still
work just fine. I'd suggest trying the query in some client that gives
you an error location pointer, which whatever he's using evidently does
not.