Postgresql and resource isolation

From: "Garber, Mikhail" <mgarber(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql and resource isolation
Date: 2007-11-15 18:12:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

We are considering using Postgresql for rather large project and I have questions about where it stands in respect to the following.

Consider these two features already found in major commercial products.

A) "resource governor" - the ability to configure how much resources (IO per second, CPU slices) particular users or sessions are allowed to use

B) ability to collect statistics about how much IO and CPU particular users and sessions actually use

I understand that I should be able to get at least some IO data by querying pg_stat_* views, but what about getting numbers about CPU usage?
And more general question - what are the plans to support these and similar features in Postgresql?

Thanks!