Install on 32 or 64 bit Linux?

From: Ralph Smith <smithrn(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Install on 32 or 64 bit Linux?
Date: 2007-08-28 21:21:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

We're at a crossroads here and it's time to upgrade boxes and
versions of PG.
This eMail query is about the first step.

Are there any recommendations on whether to install onto 32 vs 64 bit
Linux?
We're going to be using virtual machines.

Our application consists mostly of near-sequential inserts into a
LARGE table, accompanied by updates into much smaller tables.
I perform the occasional queries on the large table, requiring
sequential scans.

Are there any indications whether 32 or 64 bit Linux would be
preferable?

Thanks all,

Ralph Smith
smithrn(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu