Re: Who admins DNS?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Who admins DNS?
Date: 2006-09-10 19:42:55
Lists: pgsql-www

> > So, just to toss out another option, I'm pretty sure we could get a
> > free account from the folks at UltraDNS for the postgresql.org
> > project. This would give us something that is global,
> replicated, w/
> > no-downtime, anycast capable, on a completely independent
> > network/hardware system and accessible by whichever
> community members
> > we deem necessary.
>
> If you're thinking of them providing secondary services, then
> there isn't really any need - it was the blind primary that
> got screwed up in the snafu this week, the secondaries (and
> in fact the visible primaries) were working just fine. For
> added redundancy though, I'm configuring up a couple more
> secondaries later this week.

Agreed - as a secondary, the help is marginal.

> If you're thinking of using them as a primary, then that is
> highly unlikely to work I suspect. Our main zone file is
> dynamically generated from the database on borg and a couple
> of other sources on a daily basis
> - it's not something that we can just edit in a web interface
> periodically. There's also the mirrors.postgresql.org
> subdomain which is handled by a different primary and is
> dynamically updated every 15 minutes or so. Even if we left
> that as-is, do UltraDNS provide a method to delegate the
> subdomain to a different server?

I'm *sure* they provide delegation of subdomain, given the customers
that they have. AFAIK, UltraDNS is a professional *enterprise* DNS
hoster. But I can be wrong on that ;)

The more interesting question to ask is do they have an API for
dynamically updating the DNS records. (Maybe just dynamic-dns? If
security is configure dproperly, that should work, no?) If it's an API
we can use, then it can definitly still be a win.

//Magnus