Re: Who admins DNS?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Who admins DNS?
Date: 2006-09-13 14:00:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 09:42:55PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> The more interesting question to ask is do they have an API for
> dynamically updating the DNS records. (Maybe just dynamic-dns? If
> security is configure dproperly, that should work, no?) If it's an API
> we can use, then it can definitly still be a win.

They do have an API. As it happens, Afilias uses it. I'm under NDA,
so I can't discuss it. I will say that we've been testing an upgrade
of some of our own code against it for over a month, and we're not
there yet. Note that that statement emphatically discloses nothing
about the Neustar Ultra Services (UltraDNS doesn't exist any more)
API. You may draw your own conclusions.

The alternative is to use [A|I]XFR to them. I urge anyone planning
to use that strategy with Neustar Ultra to ask _very careful_
questions before agreeing to their approach to this. Again, I am
under NDA, and not in a position to talk about it. I would urge
people to ask similar careful questions of anyone running BIND or
NSD, too.

If people would like to wait for a short while, I may be able to
provide another option (I'm working on this with my employer right
now) that would run on top level domain infrastructure. The
additional redundancy in this case, after all, would not help (as
many have observed).

The plural of anecdote is not data.
--Roger Brinner