Re: Questions/Observations related to Gist vacuum

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>,PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Questions/Observations related to Gist vacuum
Date: 2019-10-16 13:51:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16 October 2019 12:57:03 CEST, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 7:13 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
>wrote:
>> All things
>> considered, I'm not sure which is better.
>
>Yeah, this is a tough call to make, but if we can allow it to delete
>the pages in bulkdelete conditionally for parallel vacuum workers,
>then it would be better.

Yeah, if it's needed for parallel vacuum, maybe that tips the scale.

Hopefully, multi-pass vacuums are rare in practice. And we should lift the current 1 GB limit on the dead TID array, replacing it with something more compact and expandable, to make multi-pass vacuums even more rare. So I don't think we need to jump through many hoops to optimize the multi-pass case.

- Heikki