autovacuum for large periodic deletes

From: "Sriram Dandapani" <sdandapani(at)counterpane(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: autovacuum for large periodic deletes
Date: 2006-05-17 18:52:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi

Every night, a delete of about 50 million rows occurs on a table. Do we
need to explicitly vacuum the table or will autovacuum handle the large
deletes without affecting performance. I am trying to determine whether
or not I should completely rely on autovacuum or also tinker with manual
vacuums.

Sriram