Re: autovacuum for large periodic deletes

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum for large periodic deletes
Date: 2006-05-17 20:56:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

sdandapani(at)counterpane(dot)com ("Sriram Dandapani") writes:
> Every night, a delete of about 50 million rows occurs on a table. Do
> we need to explicitly vacuum the table or will autovacuum handle the
> large deletes without affecting performance. I am trying to
> determine whether or not I should completely rely on autovacuum or
> also tinker with manual vacuums.:p>

I'd be inclined to submit a vacuum on the table as part of the
process.

Moreover, I'd be inclined to consider this situation to perhaps be
something of a bug. Deleting enormous amounts of data from a table,
on a regular basis, is not something I would expect would work out
well.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/postgresql.html