Re: mac.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: mac.c
Date: 2000-08-07 15:57:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> Why not implement like() and notlike() for macaddr data types which (if
> both args are macaddr) will compare on manufacturer's fields alone? That
> would seem to get all the functionality you might want.

That seems like an entirely unjustified overloading of the "LIKE"
operator. I don't see any reason why someone would expect a string-
pattern-match operator to have the semantics of "compare the
manufacturer part only" when applied to macaddr.

> That would avoid ginning up something artificial like a macaddr with
> some fields zeroed out.

If you don't like that, provide a function that extracts the
manufacturer part as a text string (and I guess another to extract the
low-order bits as text). Then a lookup to get the manufacturer name can
be done as a text-field search. There is plenty of precedent in the
inet/cidr functions for extracting portions of a data value as text
strings.