Transaction table

From: Deepa Thulasidasan <deepatulsidasan(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Transaction table
Date: 2010-03-20 08:47:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear All,

I have a query in postgresql if any one can support.

A transaction table in a vehicle tracking application is inserted with the current position of each vehicle at regular interval (seconds).
This transaction table consists of 12 columns, which are of the type varchar, time, numeric or double precision. A new transaction table is created every day. Total number of records at the end of the day is around 1 million records. Data is only inserted in to this table and there is no update or delete. This table is indexed using 2 columns. Now, we are expecting this transaction table to grow by 10 times in near future. In this regard, we would like to know if this same structure of the transaction table and the indexing would be sufficient for quick retrivel of data or do we have to partition this table? If so what kind of partition would be suitable?

Awaiting positive reply.

Regards,
Deepa.