Re: dynamic table/col names in plpgsql

From: "gary jefferson" <garyjefferson123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dynamic table/col names in plpgsql
Date: 2007-06-25 16:35:44
Lists: pgsql-general

ugh, I'm going down a rathole with this... the dynamic part of the
query is the table name, and therefore, if I want to select into a row
variable, that variable's declaration needs to be dynamic, too. That
seems kind of crazy, and I see no way to do that anyway. Maybe I'm
going about this all wrong.

So, what is the right approach? The problem I'm trying to solve is
that I want to key off one of the parameters passed into my function,
and then operate on either table_a or table_b, depending on that
parameter (do some select queries, possibly followed by an update
query). The column names are the same for both tables, so all other
parts of the query should remain relatively static. Its just the
table name I need to be dynamic with.

Thanks,
Gary