Re: Dates with unknown month and/or day

From: Christoph Della Valle <christoph(dot)dellavalle(at)goetheanum(dot)ch>
To: SeanDavis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>, pgnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dates with unknown month and/or day
Date: 2007-11-05 17:37:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

I think it is not a very good idea to fill unknown parts of a date with
&#39;1&#39;s, unless you introduce a new attribute "precision" or so, where
you store which part (y for year only, m for year/month etc) of your date
really can be taken seriously...

Or you store year/month/day separately. When you want to use a date
function, you concatenate all parts and cast it as a date. This is clean but
more complicated. It depends, how often you need date-functions. Attention:
concatenation with NULL results in NULL, so you need to use coalesce.

Yours,
Chris

-------- Original-Nachricht --------