Dates with unknown month and/or day

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: pg novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dates with unknown month and/or day
Date: 2007-11-05 15:20:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

What is the best way to treat dates with unknown month and/or day? I
have some historical data that has only year or year/month, while the
newest data has year/month/day. If there is no other option than to set
unknowns to '1', that will work, but I wanted to make sure that there
was not another way (and I can't see how there could be given the way
that date functions work).

Thanks,
Sean