Re: V8 Beta 5 on AIX

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: V8 Beta 5 on AIX
Date: 2004-12-10 19:12:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> Kenneth Marshall wrote:
>> > Let me ask --- if you change the CC line in Makefile.global to cc_r,
>> > does everything build OK? That might be a clean solution because the
>> > change could be made in one place. Of course this would mean the
>> > backend would also be compiled using cc_r and I have no idea of the
>> > effect.
>> >
>> > Of course, the idea that any use of libpq has to use cc_r is going to
>> > make building things complex without some adjustments.
>> >
>> > Also, what version of AIX are you using? Are other AIX folks having
>> > thread build problems?
>>
>> We have until very recently supporting a number of applications
>> requiring threading on AIX 3/4/5. They always required much more
>> understanding of the entire compile/link/run cycle than any other
>> platform we use. Changing the CC line to cc_r works fine with the
>> only problem being the cascaded use of cc_r into any application
>> that links against libpq. Even with these complications, I think we
>> should still allow threading on AIX. Anyone who builds software on
>> AIX already knows how to manage these issues.
>
> OK, but why does the AIX 5.1 version they have not have cc_r?

Because AIX 5.1 does not include cc_r; while it is termed the
"standard C compiler for AIX," there's about the same amount of
weasel-wording to that that there is to the notion of "open systems."

cc_r is a C compiler for AIX, and it evidently conforms (to some
degree or another) to the ANSI C standard.

It is not, however, included with AIX so as to allow it to be
considered a "standard component" that you can expect to find
available on AIX systems in general. It's only available if it has
been purchased.
--
"cbbrowne","@","ca.afilias.info"
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>